Thursday, December 5, 2013

Recent Reads! (From the 50+ books I read this summer!!)

Hey lovlies!

I've been sick and icky, but I am currently restarting my reading spree (that I started sometime in summer).

So this past summer, I downloaded a app/software called Calibre. It is an eReader for books (like Kindle and nook) and then you can download books in torrents, etc. You can download Calibre HERE for free.

So, on my list of books this summer was the Divergent series.

This series is set in a dystopian future of Chicago. The society has basically set up a series of factions: each one meant to uphold a particular virtue of humanity: Abnegation, meant to uphold selflessness; Amity, meant for the peaceful; Candor, meant for the honest; Dauntless, meant for the brave; and Erudite, intended for the intelligent. On a given day each year, all sixteen-year-olds take an aptitude test that will tell them for which faction they are best suited. After receiving the results of their test, they must decide whether to remain with their family or transfer to a new faction. The trilogy follows the Abnegation born Beatrice Pryor through her testing day to the day she is to pick her faction she will grow up and live in. I can't say too much but the movie of the first novel is being released on March 21 2014 (Only 4 months away!). I fell completely head over heels for this series. It was like the Hunger Games all over again for me!

I have a thing for dystopian society novels (Hunger Games and Divergent). So the next series I am currently working on is the Matched trilogy.

This series is amazing. The series is about a seventeen year old girl named Cassia Maria Reyes. In Cassia's society, you are matched at age 17. Cassia is matched with her best friend, Xander Thomas Carrow. This is not a surprise to either of them. When viewing the microcard with Xander's information on it, the screen displays a different person. I can't say too much more without giving away a major detail, so again, I am so sorry about that. I am currently on Reached (the third book in the trilogy).

My next series I am in the middle of (the first book held me captive) was the Delirium series.

Again, set in a Dystopian society, it follows a girl named Lena Haloway in an alternative present to our time (not the future this time!) where the totalitarian government teaches that love is a disease, named amor deliria nervosa, commonly referred to as "the deliria". A surgical cure for the deliria has been developed and is mandatory for citizens 18 years old and over. Lena has looked forward to the procedure for years, convinced as she is by the government that love is a horrible disease that must be destroyed from mankind's system. However, mere months before her scheduled procedure, Lena falls in love with an Invalid (a person over 18 who has not taken the Cure and lives in the Wilds) named Alex. The story is a romantic one, much like Matched and a few others I read this summer. This is one book that I actually didn't discover until Elle Fowler did a "Glitterature" on it (Actually, it may have been Blair Fowler... but who cares).

The next series I read was actually an older book series (with a movie released this year) called The Mortal Instruments.

This is a series follows Clarissa "Clary" Fray and her love interest Johnathan "Jace" Wayland. It is set in present day New York. It deals with Fantasy themes and spans 6 novels (the first four are shown here). I wasn't too impressed with the stories like I was with Matched, Delirium, and Divergent. I am definitely a dystopian society girl.

A book that came out (from one of my favorite series) was Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It is the 23rd book in the series and was released on September 3 2013.

It follows the story of her other character Acheron's twin brother, named Styxx. This book spans 1000+ pages and it is a page turner hands down. I bought it on Audible.com the first day it came out, but I also checked it out at the library (had it on hold days in advance) and I was the first one (besides librarians) to even touch the book. It was sorta a big deal to me. Anyway, the book also spans from about 9500 BC and skips a couple millennium to 2004 and goes on until the end of September 2013. This book is certainly worth the read if you are into Greek/Atlantean/etc mythology (much like I am) and want to read something with steamy sexual plots; It also has a more 'adult' feel to it. Kenyon really nails her characterization in my eyes. I love her writing, I really do. I also recommend Devil May Cry, Acheron, and Dark Side of the Moon.


My next book/series is one I started in my senior year of high school before the release of the second, and now third, books. I may have mentioned it: Unwind.

I have a hard time describing the Unwind dystology to even my friends without spoiling anything, so this is taken from Wikipedia.

"It takes place in the United States, somewhere in the near future. After a civil war—known as the Second Civil War or the Heartland War—is fought over abortion, a compromise was reached, allowing parents to sign an order for their children between the ages of 13 and 18 years old to be unwound—taken to "harvest camps" and having their body parts harvested for later use. The reasoning was that, since 100% (actually 99.44% taking into account the appendix and "useless" organs) was required to be used, unwinds did not technically "die", because their individual body parts lived on. In addition to unwinding, parents who are unable to raise their children to age thirteen for retroactive abortion have the option to "stork" their child by leaving it on another family's porch. If they don't get caught, the "storked" baby then becomes the other family's responsibility."

It follows the stories of three "unwinds" named Risa, Connor, and Lev. It also tells their backstories as to why each character specifically are being "unwound." Risa is a ward of the state, they don't want to "waste" money on her, so she is being unwound. Coming from a very religious family is Lev. His parents gave a 10th of everything to the needy (the tithe), so they decided "Why not give our tenth child to God as well?" Connor is 16, and he is one of the "troubled" unwinds. He's gotten into a lot of fights. This novel is follwed by UnWholly and UnSouled.  Recently it was unveiled by Shusterman that there would be a fourth novel called UnDivided.

My next reads are as follows:
  • By Philippa Gregory
    • The Constant Princess
    • The Other Boelyn Girl
    • The Boelyn Inheritence
    • The White Queen
    • The Red Queen
    • The Lady of  the Rivers
  •  Enclave by Ann Aguirre
  • Legend by Marie Lu
  • Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
Thanks for reading! Try out these books! I am currently searching for some new books to read as well, since I read extremely fast (I read Styxx's 1000+ pages in 2 days and can read a Harry Potter novel in 1 night if I am not distracted), so give me some suggestions!

Nana Ren
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers